This post was written by Summer Minor.
Stress is an unavoidable part of every life. We all become stressed at one point or another, whether from work or family or finances. The problem comes from repeated moments of stress, which take their toll on our health and well-being. Too much stress can not only leave you feeling overwhelmed and irritable, it can also affect your health.
- When You Don’t Know Why You’re Anxious
- 10 Gifts for Someone with Anxiety
- 14 Best Songs for People with Anxiety
- 5 Tips That Will Help You Manage Anxiety
- 25 Ways to Simplify Your Life for Less Stress
5 Minute Daily Stress Management Routine
Stress may be unavoidable, but that does not mean you have to let it rule your life. There are simple ways that you can work past your stress and feel lighter in your life. Creating a five minute stress routine, you can shake off the stress that builds up and enjoy a more positive day.
When you feel stress rising you need to break free from the negative thoughts that are pulling you down. Anxiety, fear, insecurity, and powerlessness can all trigger your body’s natural stress reactions. Take a moment to relax, calm, and push away those thoughts which increase your stress. There are many ways you can do this within five minutes.
* Take a walk. A short walk will not only remove yourself from the situation, it will also release endorphins in the brain that promote happy feelings. Even a brisk walk through a parking lot can be enough to bring stress levels down and motivate you.
* Practice mindfulness meditation. This type of meditation is where practitioners sit and do nothing to develop a state of calm. As negative thoughts creep in, look at them without judgment then move them aside. Even just five minutes of meditation can relieve feelings of stress.
* Practice free writing. If you feel stressed over a project or challenge that must be done, taking five minutes to free write can both help you clear stress and be more productive. Sit in a quiet place with a pencil and paper. Without thinking, just write what ever words and thoughts that come into your head as they come. It may be silly, bizarre, or completely off topic but that does not matter. This creative release of energy can calm and relax you on even the most stressful days.
Having a five minute stress routine is a great way to relieve stress, however there are many things that you can do to lessen stress before it appears. Here are simple tricks to keeping stress at bay before you begin feeling overwhelmed and lost.
Improve Time Management
* Delegate tasks to others to save time and reduce your load. One person does not have to do everything, assigning tasks to others will help spread the load around.
* Create a schedule for yourself. If you do not know what to do next or when tasks are due it is easy to become stressed. Instead put together a schedule for yourself to follow and stay organized.
* Identify your most important tasks and get them done. It is easy to focus on the simple tasks first, however many people then feel overwhelmed when they face several important tasks at the end of the day. Instead, mark your most important tasks and work on completing them first.
Focus on Social Support
* Make time each week to be with friends and family. Having a strong network of friends can help reduce stress levels and provide much needed relaxation.
* Spend time with family daily. Touch can do wonders to lower stress levels. Make a point every day to hug, kiss, and touch family members to help keep everyone’s stress levels down.
Make Positive Lifestyle Changes
* Get enough sleep each night to feel well rested and alert. Being exhausted can cause your to become easily overwhelmed by simple tasks.
* Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. The stronger and healthier your body is, the better it will respond to stress.
* Regular exercise will also help your body be able to adapt to stress as it comes. The better you take care of yourself, the better you will be able to counter stress as it happens.
Everyone experiences stress at one point or another, yet how you choose to deal with stress can determine who comes out on top. Taking five minutes to combat stress and relax will make you more productive and happier each day. Create a simple stress management routine in yourself today.